February 6, 2012

Sunday's Scare.

LP, " Yesterday morning was busy as is usual here with eight animals to feed , let out and medicate. I am typically up for a few hours cleaning up after pets, walking the dogs , giving the foster cats their food and medication, and  throwing a load of pet soiled something or other into the washing machine before I can sit down once I am up. I attend to anything else having to do with animal upkeep before I grab a cup of tea and  eventually eat something which is how my morning routine is defined and unfolds. Sundays are no different than any other day of the week for me. And yesterday also began like any other day . I got dressed and took the dogs for a walk, came back and attended to the foster cats , cleaned out the litter boxes then started on breakfast for my crew. I fed the dogs and the two older cats then searched around for the kittens.They are usually all over me as soon as I start opening cans of food -even if it's for the dogs. Malou ran into the kitchen as soon as she heard the dog bowls slide onto the kitchen floor but there was no sign of Levon. I should explain that Levon LOVES food. He loves his food ,  the adult cats' food , the dogs' food , our food , butter ,  fresh chicken , yogourt , eggs, cereal , ALL food. For him not to be the first to arrive in the kitchen at the first sign of food was a red flag for me. I made certain Malou ate all her breakfast , then I went looking for Levon. I looked in all his favourite places. Like most cats , Levon loves heat sources so he is often found stretched out on the radiaotors in front of the livingroom window. But he wasn't there. Some days he loves to burrow into the bedroom linens creating a soft , dark cave for himself away from the morning activity. I thought maybe he had fallen asleep so soundly under the covers of his little cave haven that he hadn't heard the wild stampede to breakfast. He wasn't there. I checked a few other places he could usually be found asleep in but found them empty too.Suddenly my heart sank. Had he somehow managed to escape outside during the hustle and bustle of the morning's activities, flying through the opening and closing of the front door , unnoticed? He wasn't tattoed or microchipped. That , ironically , would be done when he was neutered later this week.We live on a busy street. A six month old kitten wandering outside without proper identification was a disheartening thought to say the least. How long now since I had taken the dogs out for a walk when he could have darted out through my legs , like the dark ,  turbo streak he could be ? An hour and a half ? Two hours? I sank to the livingroom carpet cursing my stupidity.Why hadn't I been more careful? I was frozen with disbelief and fear not daring to absorb all the many and ugly possibilities.Then I looked up from my position of dejection on the livingroom carpet and this is what I saw .

 







LP, " Levon , fast asleep in the hammock under the old teak chair. I hadn't even bothered looking there because no one and I mean NO ONE uses the hammock under the old teak chair except her Royal Highness , Mitalee HoneyBee.That is to say, all are welcomed to experience short forages into her Royal Highness' boudoir but none are permitted to slumber therein.  The teak chair hammock has existed exclusively for the sole purpose of  cradling Mitalee's perceived superiority and rocking her to sleep these past seven years. It hadn't even occurred to me that he might be there. Oh bold and elusive little one , you scared the pants off of me!."



LP, " And later when he woke up. ... What do you see Levon ? "





LP, " Is it Mitalee ?!!  "







Have a marvelous Monday!
See you soon.
the critters in The Cottage xo

17 comments:

  1. Aackk. That would have taken months off my life--actually, this kind of thing has happened many times. And of course most of the time they're right in front of us, so to speak. I'm glad he was okay...hope you had a cup of tea or something afterward, to settle yourself down again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! My heart stopped for a beat there. Gosh...Levon...you gave us a scare...especially Mama....maybe LP would need to put a homing device on the kittens. purrr.....meow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes......how very scary. And how do they know to try this right before they are microchipped?? MOL We are very glad you found him unharmed!! And he hope he got out of there before Mitalee found him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you felt - Lucy is one of the worlds best hiders but even she isn't that bad! You must have been so surprised to find her there too.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, that is so scary. I had one of our kittens disappear and I nearly had heart failure. She was under the bed. Silly kittens.Glad you were right there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you must have been very worried! That sort of thing happens here a lot and I find myself running all over the house trying to find a cat who is slumbering happily in some odd spot. Thank goodness everything turned out all right :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That morning routine sounds pretty much like #1's. She's the last to get breakfast!

    We're so relieved little Levon hadn't escaped!!!

    Purrs,
    The Chans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thank goodness you found Levon. Our cats have given us scares like this ...you look everywhere and can't find them and fear the worst.

    Our kitties also love sleeping on the radiators. We had them in our old apartment, but we have forced air in the new place. I think the cats really miss the radiators.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Levon, what a scare you gave us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teehee! We like to give the humans heart attacks!! But seriously...we're glad Levon was inside...safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have SO been there! Even though Katie is an indoor cat, I had myself convinced she slipped outside when we had some groceries delivered. I had the house torn apart, neighbors were scouring the streets and bushes. I sat at the front door with her toys and tears in my eyes. Hours later I finally went to bed, exhausted from the ordeal. I didn't want to sleep because I didn't want to wake up and not have my kitty. Just when I didn't think I could cry anymore, my husband came into the room carrying her in his arms. She was yawning, just waking up from a LONG nap in a VERY secret hiding place. She had been there the whole time. Many more grey hairs sprouted that day.
    : ) Glogirly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, we are SO glad you found Levon unharmed and slumbering peacefully. And to Levon himself: Sleeping in Mitalee's private hammock ... we are *greatly* impressed by your courage, young one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's a link about the litter. http://www.preciouscat.com/ It really works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, we're SO glad he's okay!! We've done stuff like that before to scare the mum, it's a cat thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello LP - Yuki wanted me to let you know she's not a snow bengal; she's an Ocicat. It's a spotted breed almost like the bengal, but different. Oci's originated in Detroit in the 1960's when a breeder crossed an Abyssinian and a Siamese, and got a spotted kitten! :) I need to write up a feature about the breed at some point, with Yuki as the star ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Levon, what a brave little guy you are sleeping in Mitalee's special spot! Thank goodness that's where you were as it gave your Mama a big scare and us too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment , we love to hear from you :)