May 11, 2011

You Gotta have Friends .

LP, " I've been thinking about great friendship songs. There are so many of them it is difficult to pick a few favourites.Let's see,  The Beatles wrote a good one , " I get by with a little help from my friends. Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends." James Taylor wrote ,  " You just call out my name , and you know wherever I am , I'll come running , to see you again." Then there is Queen's " Oh...you're my best friend." Gladys Knight and The Pips , " Everybody shake a hand, shake a hand , make a friend now..." , on their friendship train. Bill Withers , " Lean on me, when you're not strong." Gosh there are so many friendship songs it can only mean ONE thing. Friendships are important. Friends are incredibly important.They carry you through  good and bad times.They know where to find your wounds and exactly how much salve to put on them. True friends HEAL you. Where would any of us be without our friends ; two and four legged alike?

I wanted to share a few things my friends did for me upon hearing of Lewis' death. First , we received some beautiful cards and each of them had kind , thoughtful , loving words written inside. I will keep them always. I have been reading them when I  feel at a loss in the absence of Lewis' presence. They mean so much to me.Thank you friends , mes amis.






My friend Tracy gave me this necklace.



Can you see what it is? I was having difficulty with the flash-it kept washing it out and then when I finally got a pic of the necklace  , it was cut off !






Here it is in my hand. It is a silver necklace with a silver charm of a vacuum cleaner attached. An inside joke. But it does not symbolize what you might immediately imagine it would symbolize when you have a wagon full of critters . You see , you would have been visually privy to this inside joke but Lewis left us days before we had planned to orchestrate putting it on film. Lewis , was touch sensitive and didn't bond with us in the usual way of domestic cats. When, however, we would plug in the vacum cleaner, Lewis would come running and lay prostrate in front of it until well, until we vacuumed him! He would turn on his sides , lay flat on his belly, lay on his back exposing his belly and generally made sure we vacuumed every inch of him . And he would purr. And purr. And purr . Soon his purr seemed to grow louder than the sound of the vacuum cleaner itself . It was his way of "bonding" with us and it was endearing , sweet, lovable and incredibly funny! I am wearing my vacuum necklace now as I type . Thank you Tracy. I love it . XOXO I am certain it will give me many opportunities to speak of Lewis in the distant future since some people's curiosity will no doubt be piqued. In this way, through memory, he will live on and continue to make others smile.


I am wearing a second necklace along with my vacuum cleaner necklace. It also has been hanging from my neck since it was given to me. It is from my friend Cat and it looks like this:





                                     
Cat gave me three different hanger options so that I could wear my "Lewis necklace" with a variety of outfits. I don't think I will have reason to ever take this necklace off ! Look who is on the other side:







Thank you Tracy and Cat. I can't begin to express to each of you what your thoughtful , generous , kind gestures have meant to me. I feel as though I am wearing a piece of Lewis against my heart at all times-his likeness and his quirkiness. That is incredibly necessary for me right now. I would never have thought to have done this for myself, but my friends thought of it. Oh the loving , healing power of the giving , receiving and wearing of these special gifts . It leaves me appreciatively sated.


My sister, who is also my friend, is working on something wonderful to commerate Lewis and I promise to share that with you when it is done.

There have been other meaningful gifts and I will share those with you over time. I am a lucky person. I have friends who care for me. I have friends to care for. And that has made all the difference.




Do you have a favourite friendship song?





Thank you old and new friends alike for making me feel less lonely in my sorrow.
Now go forth and spend a Wild Wednesday in appreciation of your Wonderful friends .
See you soon.
the critters in The Cottage

12 comments:

  1. Those necklaces are beautiful and so thoughtful!

    My Mommeh had custom silver pawprint necklaces made with mine and Harley's own pawprints and when she is at work she feels the pawprints and thinks of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had seen Lewis' vacuum antics, it must have been very unusual and funny!!! Thanks for sharing that inside joke with us. Apparently Casper used to like to be vacuumed before I got him, but I can't imagine.

    I'm so glad you like the pendant of Lewis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty necklaces which will give you lovely memories of your darling Lewis. We had never heard of a cat who liked the vacuum cleaner before!
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great story. Mom's aunt had a cat who liked to be vacuumed as well and while mom never got to see it, it makes her laugh to think about it. It is so nice to have these fun memories when we are grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so wonderful that your friends were so caring when Lewis went to the bridge. And I have to say, the Lewis story clicked in my mind - I know I have heard of another cat who loved to be vaccuumed - I can't remember where I heard it or when but oh, that was a weird flashback. He sounds like he was such a character for that - I could just picture it in my mind so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (I wanted to give you a link to the pawprint necklaces: daisythecurlycat.blogspot.com/2011/01/pawprints-on-mommehs-heart.html On that post, there is a link to the Etsy artist who makes them.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such kind thoughtful gifts. Lewis was and always will be very special. Purrs.

    Songs?
    "You've Got a Friend" - James Taylor - 1971
    "Lean On Me" - Bill Withers - 1972
    and mom's favourite:
    "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler - 1989

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I can't believe it.. I am so sorry... I have been missing from the blogosphere for a while and I didn't know that Lewis had passed away.. I will read back to find out what happened to the cutie with the mustache. Lewis had one of the sweetest faces ever! I love those black markings! I'm so sorry for your loss but happy that you have great friends! Rest in peace Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great friends! And beautiful necklaces too!! We love , I'll Stand by You by The Pretenders, for a friendship song :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, what nice gifts and what awesome friends. :) i, too, wish that i could have seen Lewis with a vacuum! i can't believe he loved being vacuumed since most cats go running whenever a vacuum is taken out of the closet!

    Lewis will indeed forever be alive and well in your heart with memories like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely gifts from your thoughtful friends. And what wonderful reminders of your sweet Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That vacuum cleaner necklace screams Lewis! But there both very pretty!

    XO K:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment , we love to hear from you :)